Life in squared pixels

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Sundown Marathon 2012

This is my very first Sundown. Excited to achieve my personal best (pb) timing for my 21km. Different experience I would say. All my previous races were held in the morning, i do not need to spend the time waiting for my race (wake up & just run).

The reasons not participating sundown previously were partly the start time & the route; in previous years, participants had to climb overhead bridge. So why I participate this year? There are 2 main reasons, 1) I can't participate in Standard Chart Marathon at the end of the year because I wont be in Singapore, so I decided to take part in other event 2) They change the route to be in town, passing by attractive landmarks. But I'm very disappointed with their organizing committee.

Sundown 2012 Map

My Experience
As most of you have read that on the newspaper,  "The Sundown Marathon, touted as Singapore's biggest night race" - The Straitstimes. I believe everyone runs for a reason. Some would like to just spend time with family & friends. For me, I would like to beat my personal best.


Arrived at Nicoll Highway that night, I went to queue up in the allocated slot. Eager to start my run. When the flag rose, runners started to run... but to my horror, my section was block from starting, letting those last minutes runners that did not queue up to enter through the side. I WAITED FOR 15 MINUTES?! This is totally unacceptable. Opening up the side just let everyone the opportunity to cut the queue even though they do not intend to finish the race in a faster timing.

"Please stand in your estimated completion time zone for a comfortable start pace." But this did not happened that day!


When it was my turn to cross the start line, the front had been filled with joggers & walkers. I spent 5km dodging my way through. All my energy wasted on this. Irritated. To make thing worst, sundown combined the start time of the 42km & the 21km, which mean there will be a human jam (which really happened) but the organizing committee only allocated ONE road lane opened up for the runners. Badly organized.


Frustrated but trying to stay focus. God suddenly whispered to me "Would you continue running for me or for your dream even if there are so many barriers in front of you?" Of course not, I'm very certain about it. That was my only motivation to keep me going for that night.

After I hit the 10km, I was making a decision if I should take my power gel because I was having some indigestion issue recently. I wouldn't want to vomit after taking, so I decided to give it a miss. It was really a run using sheer power & God given strength. Panic at the same time; i missed my spilt time by 2min. I am suppose to be doing a 6min 10sec per km but with the human jam & the energy wasted, I clocked 8min per km. My watch keep beeping every 6min but I just can't make it on target.

I gave up with my plan & decided to just go with my pace. Nothing came smooth that night. When I reached Marina South, there was a road block for 1 min, letting the construction truck passed while all the runners waited. "HUH?!" That was my only response. Totally frustrated by then. Luckily I have Aaron beside me to keep asking me to stay focus.

It wasn't easy & was praying that I would not be off timing too much. Lactic acid started to build up at 13km. Why?! I have not experienced lactic acid in any 21km race before (I think it could be the sport massage which I may not get used to). I still have 8km to go & my ankles were not feeling comfortable too, because I ran too much on the pavement. The only thing on my mind was keep counting down the km left and just keep up with Aaron.
The remaining 1.5km was a struggle, to walk or not to because my leg was really in pain. Nonetheless, my stubborness pushed me to run even if I have to drag myself til the finishing line. 


I completed my run in 2hr 18min. 2min off my targeted time. Disappointed & alot of discomfort but I'm glad that I had this experience. Good time spent with Aaron who usually not that patient with me (It was tough for him too because this is not the pace he does). Good time spent with God as well. Did not expect HIM to appear to me at such moment. 


Well Synchronized

First race with my braces on


Hmm... conslusion is maybe this will be my last Sundown. Unless there is any unforeseen circumstance. Nonetheless, Aaron was a good pacer & motivator.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...